Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Water, Water, Everywhere

As I explore the wilderness of dating, I keep running into this question. "So, do you date white guys?" It's kind of annoying, but the more troubling question turns out to be "So, do you date black guys?" The answer is not much. I haven't dated many guys to begin with, but the fact is that most of them were not black. Here's the ethnic breakdown of guys I've been involved with (dated and other).

Arab: 8.3%
Black: 25%
Mexican: 8.3%
Indian: 16%
White: 50%

What do these figures tell me, other than the fact that I'm low on East Asians?

They are a reflection of my sociological predicament. Water, water, everywhere, but not a drop to drink. I'm surrounded by black men, but when I go to the well for dates, they aren't in my bucket. While don't plan on changing my bucket, I'm considering new wells, wells where there are probably a lot of men looking for God Fearing Women to be their Queen or some such. But, hey, there's a lot of goofiness in the "mainstream" dating sources, too.

I still don't plan to limit my dates to one group or another. I may end up with an Inuit or with no one at all. But no one can pretend that race isn't a factor in a relationship. In an ideal world, the ethnicity of my dates wouldn't make any difference. But, I don't live there. I live in Philadelphia. Race is a complication that I'll have to deal with, no matter what.