Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Outerwear without Virtue, a Consumer Rant

Yesterday, I was shopping for a spring/fall jacket online. Among the usual size and price frustrations and the latest unflattering trends, I kept running into a bunch of cropped nonsense.

To me, outerwear must perform one function above all others: keep my body at a comfortable temperature. When I see an outerwear design that does not fulfill its essential role, it bothers me deep down inside. I do not understand the 3/4 sleeve jacket. Why wear a jacket that leaves my arms exposed?

I know that some styles that seem pointless today have practical origins. I can understand the down vest, because nature loving people need to keep their core warm while leaving their arms free to paddle a canoe or flail about. I also understand the much maligned capris, also known as claim diggers, because if I ever find myself walking on the beach, I don't want my pants getting all wet and sandy. Even stirrup pants had a purpose before people started wearing them with flats.

What is the essential virtue of the the 3/4 sleeve in outerwear? It may be flattering (not so much on me), but unless I'm going to be building a sandcastle or gutting a fish in a spring dress coat or sporty outdoor jacket, I want those garments to have real sleeves.

I have a bunch of 3/4 sleeve shirts and sweaters that I bought because the stores weren't carrying anything else during my last shopping spurt. Every time I put on one of my 3/4 sleeve sweaters, I wish I could throw it out, but I can't because I need things to wear to work.

I also am disturbed by sleeveless cotton shirts with hoods.