Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Monday, June 21, 2004

Memnon Rides the Bus

I boarded the Chinatown bus moments before it was scheduled to leave for Philly. The man seated behind me took it upon himself to let me know it was okay to recline my seat. God help me, I reclined. Some stupid force within me compels these regrettable actions, some fear of my own power and my right to be left alone. And men like this one know--probably by some equally pathological, symbiotic instinct-- that they can talk to me and I will listen.

So this guy asks what I'm reading. I show him the book, The Surgeon's Mate. Then he shows me his, Shades of Memnon, written by none other that himself, Gregory L. Walker. Turns out Memnon is yet another African hero wiped from the pages of history, only to be redeemed by a man sitting behind me on a cut rate bus. Not only does Mr. Walker show me his book, complete with labels stating it had been optioned for film, but his lamented press clippings and another clipping lambasting the movie Troy for not having any Africans in it.

This man nearly snuffed out any respect I may have had for him and his cause by presuming to teach me that history gets re-written by those in power. "Gee, brother, I had no idea that people of African decent are portrayed negatively in the media. I was feeling so down about us that I almost sat in the back of the bus out of lowliness. But now I can hold my head high because of Memnon. Thank you."

Walker pointed out another label on his book. Apparently, he has created a new genre, African historic fiction, and has designed a logo to go with it. He proudly pointed out the black woman in the logo. She is reaching over everything, he said. It looked more like she was bending over everything so she could do it doggy style. But whatever.

Then he asks me my name, where I live, where I work. I wish I would have lied, or quoted The Surgeon's Mate. It has a great line about how question and answer does not make for "liberal conversation."

In spite of his choir preaching, presumption, and his questionable theory that Africans are the only truly heroic people because we didn't try to take over anyone else (oh really?), I had to admire Mr. Walker. I agree that youth of today could use some Africans in their historical fiction. He told me his idea for a book about 2 black pirates who were brothers, that actually sounded cool (because pirates are cool, and what could be cooler than a black pirate but 2 black pirates? Maybe if one of them was a ghost), and I recommended that he read this awesome book. At least this guy is writing. At least this guy has passion.

There was one thing he didn't have. As we pulled into Philly, he tapped me on the shoulder(ew) and said "Sister, do you have a phone?" Heroic.