Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Monday, July 19, 2004

I, the Jury...not!

Whew! Once again I have escaped from actually serving on a jury. I was summoned to appear in court this morning, the lady called my name and I and 32 others walked pre-school field trip style to city hall for civil trial jury selection. Whatever I said that made the lawyers look me over will remain a happy mystery. All the sitting and waiting at the Court of Common Pleas (Common Pleas? If they're going to use names like that, they should have to wear powdered wigs, too.) gave me time to enjoy McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales. The editor, Michael Chabon, boasts that all the tales have actual narratives. The narrative is a slippery little devil, at least in my greasy fingers. I find that in my life, stuff just happens, and not necessarily in order. Perhaps by reading the Thrilling Tales, I will learn what it takes to spin gripping yarns from wooly life experience.