Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Cloud 9

Last night, I achieved profound relaxation by doing multiplication tables in my head. Somewhere around 9 x 17, my jaw went slack and everything was clear. Immediately, I sat up and thought "Wow! Now that's tranquility! What am I supposed to do now? Oh shit. I lost it."

Doing math in my head distracts the worrisome part of my brain with a finite task. Rather than let it get all frothed up gnawing endlessly on a high stakes question like why do people disagree on this or that issue, I give it some elementary school math. Worrisome brain, being part of my head, is much better at political questions than at math, but political answers are endless and endless answers do not lead to tranquility.

I've got a list of stupid brain tricks to keep the worrisome brain distracted for better emotional control.

Last night I also thought maybe I should just become a lawyer.