Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Many Tiny Square Pegs, One Dumb Round Hole

If you've ever freelanced, temped, or worked many jobs at once, filling out a required online job application for a large institition can give you fits. Sometimes "See attached resume" is not allowed. By being complete and honest, am I inviting some HR robot to file my application under flake?

Mercifully, the form I'm working on now doesn't demand a list of all my previous employers, only the last 3. How do I fit my last PA gig into this form which provides no way for me to say that the organization who cut my check is in Massachusetts, but the production company was in New York? There's no field where I can enter an explaination for a one week job.

Online HR programming cannot understand the twists and turns of my work history. The only thing one corporate HR website could digest from my resume was the word paralegal. The rest was doo doo.

I can pretend the narrow constraints of online forms --these digital distant relatives proding me for evidence of a "real job"-- don't pinch my self-esteem. Bohemouth institutions have hired me back in the days of paper forms. Filling out forms is a formality, but I still worry that they will keep me from landing a good permanent job.

My only crime was trying to make a living doing work that I might love. Let the ass-covering HR robots create a field for that in their forms.