Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Constitutional Fun

I have two copies of the Constitution of the United States of America and I'm not afraid to use them.

On days when I can't think of anything juicy to blog about, I plan to comment on the Law of the Land in my own inimitable layperson style, unencumbered by any extensive study of law, philosophy, history or that stuff.

Inspired by Qui and Ten's gun totin' weekend, I'll jump straight to the good part.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep an bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In some parts of the Constitution, such as the first amendment, it seems that the authors were doing their best to truly write for the ages. In other parts, the third amendment for instance, it's pretty obvious that the founders were focused on specific issues that they were dealing with at the time. (Like, you know how some people, I'm not naming names here, I'm just saying, like when some people have the nerve to quarter troops in my place? Whoa, that is not cool.) The second amendment seems to fall between these two poles. Unfortunately, when it comes to Amendment II, I don't know what the heck these guys' problem was. I suspect they wanted soldiering on the cheap, but that's just a guess. I am forced to do as my 11th grade English teacher instructed, that is, go to the text.

Apparently, a well regulated Militia was the order of the day, and of any day, so to make sure we have such a militia, the people get to keep and bear Arms. I can't say I'm unprejudiced here--living in a highly populated area with a rising murder rate and wanting to remain unshot--but since the part about a well regulated Militia comes first and that the right of the people stuff follows it and is not separated from it by an "and", I'm thinking that the well regulated Militia is really what it's all about. The stuff that comes after is exciting, but if it's not about getting at the well regulated Militia goodness, then you might not get to keep that rocket launcher on your porch, son. I know a rocket launcher is an Arm. I know it looks cool. It may make you a militia of one, but does it make you a well regulated Militia that is necessary to the security of a free State? I don't think so. If anyone wants to keep a rocket launcher someplace where they can't blow up their neighbors (eliminating one of the main selling points of such a toy), they can, but on my block, that's the kind of possession that needs to be infringed upon. The same goes for concealed weapons at the Wawa.