Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Friday, September 24, 2004

Rallied for the Rally

Just the word rally makes me twitchy. During most high school "pep fests," my little clique of AP geeks with art fag connections used to cut out and hang in the cafeteria. Some would sneer "fascist", then glower over their diet coke. It seemed foolish to display too much positive excitement for anything.

I was tempted to cut out on today's rally, too. I was afraid there'd be weirdos with gruesome pictures of fetuses and what not. Then I told myself, if I think someone is fit for the highest political office in the nation, the least I can do is get my ass to his rally when it's the neighborhood. Weirdos be damned. So I printed out my little ticket, sunscreened my neck, and waited in a mad long line to spend a few hours on the grass for John Kerry.

I actually had a decent time. There were few out-and-out weirdos. The vibe was pleasant. A nutty crunch guy with a bike helmet tried to chat me up. I met a friendly nurse from New Jersey. I clapped at the good stuff and even chanted "Kerry, Kerry." Why not? I can't be opposed to audience participation. Of course, there were a few rough spots. Our honorable Mayor tried to do a call and response thing using the word "inalienable." I was handed a cacamamy sign to wave which said something about restoring world credibility. I can't remember the exact wording, it was so awkward. A college kid in the crowd wished everyone would stop alluding to Vietnam. But between the U2 and Springsteen songs and the giant helium balloons spontaneously bursting from the heat, there were some exciting speakers. Joe Biden was the best. Finally, Kerry himself hit the stage. He took of his jacket, rolled up his sleeves, waved, then made a regrettably goofy rock 'em sock 'em gesture. He's slimmer than you might think, although as far as I could tell the man is not much taller than my thumbnail. Then Golden Boy Rendell spoke, then some soldiers' moms. Then a boxing champ handed Kerry some gloves. By the time Kerry actually started speaking, I had been warmed up and warmed over too much. His speech was okay (I find his stentorian tone a welcome change from twelve years of Dixie twang), but I cut out as soon as he said "closing" so I could avoid the big exit rush.