Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Friday, June 03, 2005

A Very New Team

I have met my summer frisbee team and oh how I miss my spring team.

To be fair, the kiddies on my new team are friendly enough. They're agile, nubile, and projectile. Thanks to the spring in their young legs we won our Wednesday night pre-season game. But after a day of working on campus, I'm not all that eager to spend time with more underage people who say things like, "cell phone roaming, what's that?" I almost started to laugh when the team captain groaned and sighed at his mother's nagging questions. Yes, mom was there. He lives with her.

It appears that I'm one of a few thirtysomethings on the team, making this summer season more of a workout and less of an opportunity to meet special friends. A guy on the opposing team caught my eye, but I have no feminine wiles, so I didn't know how to approach him socially. He did complement me for running hard, but the way I was huffing and puffing to keep up with all the young 'uns, I'm sure that was more out of pity than anything else.

It's funny, but when I'm trying to outrun others, I have to remind myself how to be faster. "You have longer legs than her. Use your stride." "Use more energy." "Try harder!" Duh. I imagine natural athletes run just fine without needing to think about it.