Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Romp, or Ledger Swings Both Ways

For movie goers looking for a little fizz to help their digestion after diet of heavy heavy holiday film fare, Cassanova is the cure. (This year, even the big budget fantasy films are heavy. And Lord help me. I did Syrianna and Brokeback in one week.)

Cassanova's got everything a geeky girl could want. History, clever dialogue, a roguish hero, a headstong heroine, cleavage, masks, people speaking in British accents even though they're supposed to be Italian...Jeremy Irons. But it is more than just "a slutty movie with cool clothes"(thank you, Ten Feet of Steel, for that assessment of Henry and June.)It's an old school romp. I saw it with my aunt Liz and we had a blast.

And as if we needed more proof that "girls don't fall in love with fun," I heard a young woman at a party say, "Heath Ledger never did anything for me until I saw Brokeback Mountain." Uh...even I of the busted gaydar had to raise my eyebrows at that.

I dig how Cassanova is more effeminate than Ennis Del Mar.