Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not Exactly a Go-Getter

I looked at a list of life goals that I made in late July and found that I'd actually accomplished one of them. I did manage to go for a hike.

In my defense I must say that many of my goals were grand long-term things. Some of my plans to achieve these goals were a little iffy. For example, my plan to exercise three times a week consisted of the words "get off ass." My strategy for traveling aboard began with "find a place to go" and it also ended there.

Not in my defense, I can't help but wonder why the hell I haven't managed to "weed out craft supplies, give away or sell unwanted clothing, find replacement for hideous dresser" yet. That's hardly "stop global warming, resuscitate the economy, peace in the middle east," is it?

So now my new goal is to rethink my goals. Maybe I should scale things back a bit. I definitely need to devote actual periods of time to work towards my goals. Also, maybe I need to be more honest about what I really want. I probably managed to go on a hike because I really wanted to go on a hike. Having an organized bedroom is admirable, but I can't imagine that it will bring me nearly as much happiness as that hike did. That's not to say that my goals should only be fun, but the goals that don't lead to pleasure should lead to outcomes that I truly value.