Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Monday, June 07, 2004

Nothing Much

Every Saturday morning my mom calls me to make sure I'm not dead. When she asks me what's new, I usually say, "Nothing much." And as I say those words, I believe them, when really lots of stuff is happening.

A new librarian started here today, and while he seems like a nice guy, he does want people to call him Dick. In principle, I believe that people have the right to be called whatever they want. In practice, this will be difficult to do with a straight face.

Speaking of funny names, I watched my second horse race this weekend, the Belmont. Everyone in the room was rooting for Smarty Jones, but he came in second. Hey, that's pretty good. He definitely had the best name out of all the horses. Rock Hard 10 and Purge are bad names for any animal. I learned many exciting horse facts. For instance, horses have a patriarchal herd structure.

Speaking of patriarchy, who should finally croak but dear old Ronald Reagan, the man who presided over my adolescence? The sight of his wizened face, cold eyes and shilaced Big Boy hair no longer touches off the same visceral rage in me as they did when I watched is first inaugural address and almost cried. I hope he rests in peace. But more than that, I hope his death doesn't rev up the W campaign too much and they'd better not put his face on the dime. Reagan voted for FDR, you know.

Speaking of votes, I wonder if I will chose to date either of the 2 guys that I've been emailing thanks to spring street networks internet dating. I wonder if either one will chose me. Again, there is no escape from identity issues, least of all in internet dating. I must get over the frustration of reading an interesting profile of an African-American guy only to notice that he prefers not to date African-American women. Other than that, these profiles are starting to look alike. There's a LOT of bald guys with goatees out there.