Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Too Much Information and Not Enough

I'm sure other lay people have run across the problem of finding too much information and not enough information as they search for answers about their medical conditions. At one end, I find a lot of simple symptom check lists. At the other, I come across statements like this one:

"ADHD," Sowell and Peterson concluded in the study, "is almost certainly a disorder of heterogeneous etiologies that have correspondingly heterogeneous neuro-anatomical underpinnings."

You can't argue with that!

Worse yet are the rantings of people who believe that to test for ADHD and try to overcome difficulties associated with it is to buy into some kind of lax morality or rigid conformity. Yes, there is some conformity involved in the treatment I've received so far, mostly about learning to play well with others, but my doctors aren't in league with Kim Jong Il.

I try to take comfort in the websites that claim ADHD is some kind of gift. But the ones that go on to say that everyone from Ben Franklin to Gandhi had it make me a little skeptical.