Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Friday, January 23, 2009

I Was There: The Obligatory Post-Inauguration Post

I wish I could tell you all some awe-inspiring story about being on the National Mall for the Presidential Inauguration. While history was being made, I was focused on keeping my mom from tripping, spilling hot coffee on herself and others, or poking anyone with the American flag she received from an inaugural volunteer.

After some Tuesday morning waffling, Mom and I made up our minds to get on the Metro and go. After all, she'd come half way across the country with plans to attend. To back out at the final hour and just watch things from a suburb in Virginia just didn't seem right.

So after a snail-paced ride on a surprisingly un-crowded Metro car, we arrived in DC proper and made our way to the Mall. We found a spot just east of the Washington Monument, near 14th St NW between Madison Dr. and Jefferson Dr.

We heard the swearing in, Aretha Franklin, Yo-Yo Ma and Perlman, Warren and the beginnings of Obama's speech before I decided we'd better leave. I wasn't the only one with that idea, so it took forever to get back on the Metro.

I'll admit, it was heartening to see all the cheering people standing around the base of the Washington monument. The general good spirit and sense of community in spite of the freezing air and all the hucksterism, the pedestrians crossing bridges over the Potomac ice, and the face of one woman who cried she looked at the Mall, with Obama's speech echoing off the surrounding buildings, with stay with me.

So I guess it was worth it.