Ashyknees' Time Killer

The author is willing, but her punctuation is weak.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Replacement Editors

What could be more humbling than sitting next to some nineteen year old kid while she edits your writing? Yes. Sitting next to two such kids.

Last night, the regular general assignment editor of the student newspaper was away, so this guy from the design department was filling in. That meant another kid was filling in for him, and so on. Imagine the frightening embalance of student skills.

Meanwhile, two kids in the corner were working themselves into a froth over Roland Barthe and other critics. Get a room!

Just as the replacement guy was ready to attack my third paragraph, some small disaster in the design department called him away. The replacement editor was replaced by a frail, pallid creature with a voice like a fun size Mia Farrow. She proceded to undo every change that the first guy had made.

I tried to hide my frustration. I really did, but eventually she sensed it.

It took me a while to get used to the inverted pyramid style, she chirped.

I suppose all this will be worth it when I have enough clips to show to a grown-up editor.